The objective of TRESA is to develop training material, curricula and other tools for
training and education on SALW control, based on specific, clearly identified and articulated
We recognize that control of SALW is dependent on a number of factors, ranging from
perceptions of personal security to issues of international trade. TRESA is intended to address
only one of those factors: the need for training, at various levels, in operationalizing SALW
TRESA therefore intends to provide an overall system for the design, testing,
implementation, and evaluation of SALW control training materials that can be applied
throughout the world.
These objectives specify some of the parameters within which TRESA is functioning.
- Identify clear and specific needs in the realm of SALW control.
- Identify shared issues and major problems of SALW control worldwide.
- Develop curricula for SALW control, which can be modified as necessary to meet specific
local conditions and issues.
- Develop training methods appropriate for a range of clients, local circumstances,
and specific conditions.
- Preference for training methods that are deliverable independent of expert management
- Field testing and evaluation of these curricula and methods, and
- Disseminate information about them, their availability, and their utility to as broad
a spectrum of clients and potential clients as possible.